Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I'm way behind #12: The World's End (Edgar Wright)

I don't know if Edgar Wright will make a film that resonates with me as much as his television show Spaced, but even if he doesn't, I'll be happy as long as he keeps making films as entertaining as Shaun of the Dead and this one. This is a real throwback to the days when mainstream entertainment actually tried to entertain. An apocalyptic sci-fi/action/horror/comedy whose characters are all very specific movie types but also seem like real people, The World's End plays like a British television comedy version of Philip Kaufman's 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as directed by John Carpenter with a 2013 Hollywood budget. That's what I mean when I say it's a throwback to the days when entertainment entertained.
If you grew up around '70s and '80s science fiction and horror movies, '90s and 2000s cult British comedy, and '80s and '90s British indie rock, you will be very comfortable with the world captured in this movie. I had a fuzzy feeling watching it. We get to know the characters (played by a great mix of comedic and dramatic character actors from the last decade and a half of British cinema), the pacing and framing of shots and editing hark back to the classic model that got thrown out last decade in favor of never-ending climaxes and CGI, and it was fun. This is a real movie made by a guy who likes movies. Stop making movies like I, Frankenstein and make more movies like this, Hollywood jerks.  

No comments:

Blog Archive