Sunday, March 25, 2007

Favorite Actor Monday


I know a handful of people who react with distaste as soon as Chloe Sevigny's name is mentioned, but I don't really understand why. Sure, from the late nineties to the early 2000s she was a ubiquitous party/club girl, her brother's terrible band got a lot of media attention for a very brief period thanks to nepotism, her fashion sense can be unfortunate (I even notice this and I don't know anything about clothes), and some people have a problem with that Vincent Gallo blowjob (me, I'm undecided). These things have nothing to do with her worth as an actor, though, and from the moment I saw her onscreen for the first time in 1995, I was an ardent admirer. Her performances have never disappointed me, and goddamn she takes some risks. I wish she'd get more leading roles. (I blame the blowjob for that.)

Recommended:
Kids (Larry Clark, 1995)
Trees Lounge (Steve Buscemi, 1996)
Gummo (Harmony Korine, 1997)
The Last Days of Disco (Whit Stillman, 1998) (This is probably not a good film, but she's great in it.)
Boys Don't Cry (Kimberly Peirce, 1999)
Julien Donkey-Boy (Harmony Korine, 1999)
American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)
Demonlover (Olivier Assayas, 2002)
Dogville (Lars Von Trier, 2003)
The Brown Bunny (Vincent Gallo, 2003) (She does more than give a blowjob in this, you know.)
Manderlay (Lars Von Trier, 2005)
Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch, 2005)
Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007) (A thankless, cliched role that she still manages to do something with.)

No comments:

Blog Archive