I don't know why this movie is so little seen. I'd barely heard of it, I've never heard anyone talk about it, and the reviews I looked up after watching it were mostly negative. But it's so much fun to watch. It's a vampire/gangster/comedy/horror movie that finds a perfect balance between all these elements and is almost as good as Landis's other attempt at this kind of thing, "An American Werewolf in London." Anthony LaPaglia, Don Rickles, and Robert Loggia are great in it, the cameos from Sam Raimi, Tom Savini, Dario Argento, and Frank Oz are funny, and the gore scenes are satisfying in the way that only disintegrating flesh, decapitated heads, and gushing blood geysers can be. The dialogue is funny not so much in the way it's written, but in how it's spoken. Here's some dialogue on paper:
LaPaglia, after chasing a lady vampire all over the city and being knocked down by her: "Man .... Just when I thought I understood some shit."
Lady vampire, after dropping from a skyscraper onto LaPaglia's car, smashing the hood, then jumping into the passenger seat: "You're a cop, right? Where's your cop radio?"
LaPaglia: "This is not my cop car, which is why I wish you hadn't jumped on it."
Not particularly funny, right? Somehow, the way LaPaglia delivers these lines is absolutely hilarious. I don't know why. Some actors can just deliver the goods. The comedy goods. Am I right?
Semi-related aside: There was a five-second scene in a strip club with very brief nudity and, though there were two other much sexier scenes with extended nudity, the videotape was completely shredded for only this one scene. Some previous tape renter has a serious strip club fetish.
- ► 2014 (19)
- ► 2013 (19)
- ► 2012 (19)
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (68)
- ► 2009 (112)
- ► 2008 (105)
- ► 2007 (103)
- ► 2006 (74)
- Made in Britain (Alan Clarke)
- One Missed Call (Takashi Miike)
- Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur)
- Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn)
- A Perfect World (Clint Eastwood)
- In the Land of the Deaf (Nicolas Philibert)
- Sin City (Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez)
- Baadasssss! (Mario Van Peebles)
- Victim (Basil Dearden)
- Innocent Blood (John Landis)
- Days and Nights in the Forest (Satyajit Ray)
- What are your favorite vampire, werewolf, and zomb...
- Scum (film version) (Alan Clarke)
- Boy Hooligans from Kishiwada a.k.a. Young Thugs: N...
- Sunrise (F.W. Murnau)
- From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez)
- Life and Nothing More (Abbas Kiarostami)
- The Stranger (Satyajit Ray)
- ▼ April (19)